|Subject ||'in/on demand' show, express, display, reveal, register, rouse, cause, fire, prompt, ease, moderate, animate
65. "in/on demand"
* When articulating "in demand" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "on demand" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
1. To be or become visible or evident.
2. Slang To make an appearance; show up: didn't show for her appointment.
a. To be exhibited publicly: What's showing at the movie theater tonight?
b. To give a performance or present an exhibition.
4. Sports To finish third or better in a horserace or dog race.
* When articulating "have a show" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "show" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
show (be/C1 + visible/T) "be visible"
show ("make an"/C1 + appearance/T) "make an appearance"
show ("have an"/C1 + exhibition/T) "have an exhibition"
show ("keep an"/C1 + appointment/T) "keep an appointment"
show (finish/C1 + third/T) "finish third"
To display or behave in an ostentatious or conspicuous way.
1. To be clearly visible.
2. To put in an appearance; arrive.
3. To expose or reveal the true character or nature of: showed their efforts up as a waste of time.
4. Informal To surpass, as in ability or intelligence.
* When articulating "show" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "show up" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
And when articulating "show" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /S/Ch/abT speaking posture, "show off" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
display (show/P + off/S) "show off"
arrive (show/P + up/S) "show up"
expose (show/S + up/T) "show up"
surpass (show/P + up/T) "show up"
up (clear/P + ly/S) clearly
1. A display; a manifestation: made a show of strength.
a. A trace or indication, as of oil in a well.
b. The discharge of bloody mucus from the vagina indicating the start of labor.
c. The first discharge of blood in menstruation.
3. A false appearance; a pretense: only a show of kindness.
a. A striking appearance or display; a spectacle.
b. A pompous or ostentatious display.
5. Display or outward appearance: This antique tea service is just for show. His smile was for show.
a. A public exhibition or entertainment.
b. An exposition for the display or demonstration of commercial products: an auto show.
c. A usually competitive exhibition of domestic animals: won first place at the cat show.
a. A radio or television program.
b. A movie.
c. A theatrical troupe or company.
8. Informal An affair or undertaking: ran the whole show.
9. Sports Third place at the finish, as in a horserace.
show (manifes/P + tation/S) manifestation
show (indi/P + cation/S) indication
show (va/P + gina/S) vagina
show (menstru/P + ation/S) menstruation
show (pre/P + tense/S) pretense
show (gran/P + deur/S) grandeur
show (osten/P + tation/S) ostentation
show (demons/P + tration/S) demonstration
show (expo/P + sition/S) exposition
show (exhi/P + bition/S) exhibition
show (pro/P + gram/S) program
show (mo/P + vie/S) movie
show (com/P + pany/S) company
show (e/P + vent/S) event
show (thir/P + d/S) Third
1. Definitely and explicitly stated: their express wish. See Synonyms at explicit.
2. Particular; specific: an express plan.
a. Sent out with or moving at high speed.
b. Direct, rapid, and usually nonstop: express delivery of packages; an express bus.
c. Of, relating to, or appropriate for rapid travel: express lanes on a freeway.
express (c/T + lear/P) clear
express (spe/T + cific/P) specific
express (dis/T + patched/P) dispatched
express (spee/T + dy/P) speedy
express (appro/T + priate/P) appropriate
By express delivery or transport.
expressly (s/T/Ch + pecially/S/Ch) specially
* When articulating "expressly" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "express" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
"^by^ express" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced as "express". (liaison-hole/LH)
a. A rapid, efficient system for the delivery of goods and mail.
b. Goods and mail conveyed by such a system.
2. A means of transport, such as a train, that travels rapidly and makes few or no stops before its destination.
3. Chiefly British
a. A special messenger.
b. A message delivered by special courier.
express (s/C2 + peed/T) speed
express (expressed/P + system(s)/T) "expressed system(s)"
express (expressed/P + mail(s)/T) "expressed mail(s)"
express (expressed/P + good(s)/T) "expressed good(s)"
express (non/P + stop/T) nonstop
express (special/P + messenger/T) "special messenger"
express (special/P + message/T) "special message"
Computer Science To provide information or graphics on a screen: a personal computer that displays and prints.
a. The act of displaying.
b. A public exhibition.
c. Objects or merchandise set out for viewing by the public.
2. A demonstration or manifestation: a display of temper.
a. Biology A specialized pattern of behavior used to communicate visually, such as the presentation of colors or plumage by male birds as part of courtship or intimidation.
b. An instance of such behavior.
4. Ostentatious exhibition.
5. An advertisement or headline designed to catch the eye.
a. Computer Science A video display.
b. A visual representation of information.
* When articulating "show attributions" or "have a screen" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "display" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
display (exhi/C2 + bition/P) exhibition
display (manifes/C2 + tation/P) manifestation
display (attri/C2 + bution/P) attribution
display (osteni/C2 + tation/P) ostentation
display (adveri/C2 + tisement/P) advertisement
display (s/C2 + creen/P) screen
window (re/P + veal/S) reveal
disclosure (re/P/Ch + veal/S/Ch) reveal
a. A formal or official recording of items, names, or actions.
b. A book for such entries.
c. An entry in such a record.
2. The act of registering.
3. A device that automatically records a quantity or number.
4. Computer Science A part of the central processing unit used as a storage location.
5. An adjustable, grill-like device through which heated or cooled air is released into a room.
6. A state of proper alignment: to be in register.
a. Exact alignment of the lines and margins on the opposite sides of a leaf.
b. Proper positioning of colors in color printing.
a. The range of an instrument or a voice.
b. A part of such a range.
c. A group of matched organ pipes; a stop.
9. A variety of language used in a specific social setting: speaking in an informal register; writing in a scientific register.
register (re/P/Ch + cording/S/Ch) recording
register (en/P/Ch + try/S/Ch) entry
* When articulating "notebook" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "register" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
register (stor/P/Ch + age/S/Ch) storage
register (g/P/Ch + rating/S/Ch) grating
register (a/P/Ch + lignment/S/Ch) alignment
register (ranP/Ch + ge/S/Ch) range
register (re/P/Ch + cording/S/Ch) stop
register (se/P/Ch + tting/S/Ch) setting
1. To place or cause placement of one's name in a register.
2. To have one's name officially placed on a list of eligible voters.
3. To enroll as a student.
4. To be indicated on or as if on an instrument or a scale.
5. To be shown or expressed, as on the face.
6. To make an impression; be recorded in the mind: The warning failed to register.
7. To be in proper alignment.
* When articulating "register a name", "place a name", "enroll a name", "have an indication", "have a show", "have a recording" or "have an alignment" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "register" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
1. To awaken.
2. To become active.
The act or an instance of arousing.
* When articulating "have a rousedness", "take a fly", "have a toast", "have a carousal" or "rousedness" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "rouse" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
a. The producer of an effect, result, or consequence.
b. The one, such as a person, event, or condition, that is responsible for an action or result.
2. A basis for an action or response; a reason: The doctor's report gave no cause for alarm.
3. A goal or principle served with dedication and zeal: "the cause of freedom versus tyranny" (Hannah Arendt).
4. The interests of a person or group engaged in a struggle: "The cause of America is in great measure the cause of all mankind" (Thomas Paine).
a. A ground for legal action.
b. A lawsuit.
6. A subject under debate or discussion.
cause (pro/S/Ch + ducer/P/Ch) producer
cause (responsi/S/Ch + bility/P/Ch) responsibility
cause (ba/S/Ch + sis/P/Ch) basis
cause (prin/S/Ch + ciple/P/Ch) principle
cause (inte/S/Ch + rest/P/Ch) interest
cause (ac/S/Ch + tion/P/Ch) action
cause (law/S/Ch + suit/P/Ch) lawsuit
cause (sub/S/Ch + ject/P/Ch) subject
WORD HISTORY Primitive Indo-European had pairs of words for some very common things, such as water or fire. Typically, one word in the pair was active, animate, and personified; the other, impersonal and neuter in grammatical gender. In the case of the pair of words for “fire,” English has descendants of both, one inherited directly from Germanic, the other borrowed from Latin. Our word fire goes back to the neuter member of the pair. In Old English “fire” was f[ymacr]r, from Germanic *fūr. The Indo-European form behind *fūr is *pūr, whence also the Greek neuter noun pūr, the source of the prefix pyro–. The other Indo-European word for fire appears in ignite, which is derived from the Latin word for fire, ignis, from Indo-European *egnis. The Russian word for fire, ogon' (stem form ogn–), and the Sanskrit agni–, “fire” (deified as Agni, the god of fire), also come from *egnis, the active, animate, and personified word for fire.
fire (wa/P/Ch + ter/S/Ch) water
a. A rapid, persistent chemical change that releases heat and light and is accompanied by flame, especially the exothermic oxidation of a combustible substance.
b. Burning fuel or other material: a cooking fire; a forest fire.
a. Burning intensity of feeling; ardor. See Synonyms at passion.
3. Luminosity or brilliance, as of a cut and polished gemstone.
4. Liveliness and vivacity of imagination; brilliance.
5. A severe test; a trial or torment.
6. A fever or bodily inflammation.
a. The discharge of firearms or artillery: heard the fire of cannon.
b. The launching of a missile, rocket, or similar ballistic body.
c. Discharged bullets or other projectiles: subjected enemy positions to heavy mortar fire; struck by rifle fire.
8. Intense, repeated attack or criticism: answered the fire from her political critics.
fire (f/P/Ch + lame/S/Ch) flame
fire (fu/P/Ch + el/S/Ch) fuel
fire (feel/P/Ch + ing/S/Ch) feeling
fire (en/P/Ch + thusiasm/S/Ch) enthusiasm
fire (lumi/P/Ch + nosity/S/Ch) luminosity
fire (vi/P/Ch + vacity/S/Ch) vivacity
fire (t/P/Ch + rial/S/Ch) trial
fire (infla/P/Ch + mmation/S/Ch) inflammation
fire (dis/P/Ch + charge/S/Ch) discharge
fire (launch/P/Ch + ing/S/Ch) launching
fire (pro/P/Ch + jectile/S/Ch) projectile
fire (a/P/Ch + ttack/S/Ch) attack
1. To become ignited; flame up.
a. To become excited or ardent.
b. To become angry or annoyed.
3. To tend a fire.
a. To shoot a weapon: aimed and fired at the target.
b. To detonate an explosive.
c. To ignite fuel, as in an engine.
5. Informal To project or hurl a missile: The pitcher wound up and fired.
6. Physiology To generate an electrical impulse. Used of a neuron.
7. To become yellowed or brown before reaching maturity, as grain.
* When articulating "have the flame", "have the light", "tend the light", "have the passion", "explode the mine", "shoot the gun", "cause detonation", "give the deliverance", "throw a stone", "give the impulse" or "darken the leave" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "fire" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
"flame up" (fi/C1/Ch + re/T/Ch) fire
* When articulating "flame up" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "fire away" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
And when articulating "flame up" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /S/Ch/abT speaking posture, "fire off" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
adj. prompt•er, prompt•est
1. Being on time; punctual.
2. Carried out or performed without delay: a prompt reply.
prompt (punc/P/Ch + tual/S/Ch) punctual
prompt (imme/P/Ch + diate/S/Ch) immediate
a. The act of prompting or giving a cue.
b. A reminder or cue.
2. Computer Science A symbol that appears on a monitor to indicate that the computer is ready to receive input.
a. A prompt note.
b. The time limit stipulated in a prompt note.
prompt (re/C2/Ch + minder/P/Ch) reminder
prompt (li/C2/Ch + mit/P/Ch) limit
prompt (indi/C2/Ch + cation/P/Ch) indication
1. The condition of being comfortable or relieved.
a. Freedom from pain, worry, or agitation: Her mind was at ease knowing that the children were safe.
b. Freedom from constraint or embarrassment; naturalness.
a. Freedom from difficulty, hardship, or effort: rose through the ranks with apparent ease.
b. Readiness or dexterity in performance; facility: a pianist who played the sonata with ease.
4. Freedom from financial difficulty; affluence: a life of luxury and ease.
5. A state of rest, relaxation, or leisure: He took his ease by the pond.
ease (comfortable/P/Ch + ness/S/Ch) comfortableness
ease (painless/P/Ch + ness/S/Ch) painlessness
ease (natural/P/Ch + ness/S/Ch) naturalness
ease (effortless/P/Ch + ness/S/Ch) effortlessness
ease (readi/P/Ch + ness/S/Ch) readiness
ease (lu/P/Ch + xury/S/Ch) luxury
ease (lei/P/Ch + sure/S/Ch) leisure
1. To lessen, as in discomfort, pressure, or stress: pain that never eased.
2. To move or proceed with little effort: eased through life doing as little as possible.
* When articulating "lessen painfulness" or "do nothing" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "ease" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
1. Being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme: a moderate price.
2. Not violent or subject to extremes; mild or calm; temperate: a moderate climate.
a. Of medium or average quantity or extent.
b. Of limited or average quality; mediocre.
4. Opposed to radical or extreme views or measures, especially in politics or religion.
moderate (reason/P/Ch + able/S/Ch) reasonable
moderate (temper/P/Ch + ate/S/Ch) temperate
moderate (me/P/Ch + dium/S/Ch) medium
moderate (limi/P/Ch + ted/S/Ch) limited
>> One who holds or champions moderate views or opinions, especially in politics or religion.
moderate ("middle-of-the"/P/Ch + roader/S/Ch) middle-of-the--roader
1. To become less violent, severe, or extreme; abate.
2. To act as a moderator.
* When articulating "reduce excessiveness" or "act president" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "moderate" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
1. Possessing life; living. See Synonyms at living.
2. Of or relating to animal life as distinct from plant life.
3. Belonging to the class of nouns that stand for living things: The word dog is animate; the word car is inanimate.
animate (li/P/Ch + ving/S/Ch) living
animate (a/P/Ch + nimal/S/Ch) animal
animate (vo/P/Ch + litional/S/Ch) volitional