|Subject ||parlous/perilous, '(de)fend (off)', 'cover up', protect/guard/secure/preserve/furnish, 'fit out', stock/supply
* When articulating "perilous" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /S/Ch/abT speaking posture, "parlous" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
When articulating "parlous" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abT speaking posture, "parlously" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
106. (de)fend (off)
* When articulating "fend" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "fend off" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
When articulating "fend", "make a defense" or "resist the attack" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /S/Ch/abT speaking posture, "defend" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
When articulating "defend" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/abT speaking posture, "defended" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
When articulating "defended" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "defends" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
When articulating "defended" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abT speaking posture, "defending" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
v. de•fend•ed, de•fend•ing, de•fends
1. To make or keep safe from danger, attack, or harm.
a. To attempt to prevent the opposition from scoring while playing in or near (a goal or area of a field, for example).
b. To be responsible for guarding (an opposing player).
c. To compete against a challenger in an attempt to retain (a championship).
3. To support or maintain, as by argument or action; justify.
a. To represent (a defendant) in a civil or criminal action.
b. To attempt to disprove or invalidate (an action or claim).
1. To make a defense.
2. Sports To play defense.
defend (pre/P/Ch + vent/S/Ch) prevent
defend (guar/P/Ch + d/S/Ch) guard
defend (compete/P/Ch + against/S/Ch) "compete against"
defend (justi/P/Ch + fy/S/Ch) justify
defend (repre/P/Ch + sent/S/Ch) represent
defend (invali/P/Ch + date/S/Ch) invalidate
107. cover (up)
–verb (used without object)
31. Informal. to serve as a substitute for someone who is absent: We cover for the receptionist during lunch hour.
32. to hide the wrongful or embarrassing action of another by providing an alibi or acting in the other's place: They covered for him when he missed roll call.
33. to play a card higher than the one led or previously played in the round: She led the eight and I covered with the jack.
34. to spread over an area or surface, esp. for the purpose of obscuring an existing covering or of achieving a desired thickness and evenness: This paint is much too thin to cover.
* When articulating "cover-up", "do a substitute", "hide mistake", "play a card" or "do overlay" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "cover" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
35. something that covers, as the lid of a container or the binding of a book.
36. a blanket, quilt, or the like: Put another cover on the bed.
37. protection; shelter; concealment.
38. anything that veils, screens, or shuts from sight: under cover of darkness.
39. woods, underbrush, etc., serving to shelter and conceal wild animals or game; a covert.
40. Ecology. vegetation that serves to protect or conceal animals, such as birds, from excessive sunlight, from drying, or from predators.
41. a set of eating utensils and the like, as plate, knife, fork, and napkin, placed for each person at a table.
42. an assumed identity, occupation, or business that masks the true or real one: His job at the embassy was a cover for his work as a spy.
43. a covering of snow, esp. when suitable for skiing.
44. a pretense; feigning.
45. a person who substitutes for another or stands ready to substitute if needed: She was hired as a cover for six roles at the opera house.
46. cover charge.
a. an envelope or outer wrapping for mail.
b. a letter folded so that the address may be placed on the outside and the missive mailed.
48. Finance. funds to cover liability or secure against risk of loss.
49. Music. cover version.
50. Also called covering. Mathematics. a collection of sets having the property that a given set is contained in the union of the sets in the collection.
cover (some/S/Ch + thing/P/Ch) something
cover (blan/S/Ch + ket/P/Ch) blanket
cover (pro/S/Ch + tection/P/Ch) protection
cover (any/S/Ch + thing/P/Ch) anything
cover (cover/S/Ch + t/P/Ch) covert
cover (vege/S/Ch + tation/P/Ch) vegetation
cover (u/S/Ch + tensil/P/Ch) utensil
cover (busi/S/Ch + ness/P/Ch) business
cover (s/S/Ch + now/P/Ch) snow
cover (pre/S/Ch + tense/P/Ch) pretense
cover (per/S/Ch + son/P/Ch) person
cover (char/S/Ch + ge/P/Ch) charge
cover (wrapp/S/Ch + ing/P/Ch) wrapping
cover (out/S/Ch + side/P/Ch) outside
cover (fund/S/Ch + s/P/Ch) funds
covering (u/S/Ch + nion/P/Ch) union
51. cover up, a. to cover completely; enfold.
b. to keep secret; conceal: She tried to cover up her part in the plot.
enfold (cover/S/Ch + up/P/Ch) "cover up"
conceal (cover/S + up/P) "cover up"
–verb (used without object)
4. to provide, or be capable of providing, protection: a floor wax that protects as well as shines.
: to provide a guard or shield <protects against tooth decay>
* When articulating "give prevention" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "protect" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
1. To take precautions: guard against infection.
2. To serve as a guard.
* When articulating "have precaution" or "stand guardian" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "guard" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
1. One who protects, keeps watch, or acts as a sentinel.
2. One who supervises prisoners.
3. An honor guard.
4. Chiefly British A railway employee in charge of a train.
5. Football One of the two offensive linemen on either side of the center.
6. Basketball Either of the two players normally positioned in the backcourt who are responsible for bringing the ball to and initiating offensive plays from the frontcourt.
7. Sports A defensive position or stance, as in boxing or fencing.
a. The act or duty of guarding.
b. Protection; watch: a prisoner under close guard.
9. Something that gives protection; a safeguard: a guard against tooth decay.
10. A device or an attachment that prevents injury, damage, or loss, especially:
a. An attachment or a covering put on a machine to protect the operator or a part of the machine.
b. A device on a foil, sword, or knife that protects the hand.
c. A padded covering worn to protect a body part from injury: a shin guard.
d. A small chain or band attached to a watch or bracelet to prevent loss.
e. A ring worn to prevent a more valuable ring from sliding off the finger.
11. Electronics A signal that prevents accidental activation of a device or ambiguous interpretation of data.
guard (guard/S/Ch + ian/P/Ch) guardian
guard (super/S/Ch + visor/P/Ch) supervisor
guard (honor/S/Ch + guard/P/Ch) "honor guard"
guard (t/S/Ch + rain/P/Ch) train
guard (cen/S/Ch + ter/P/Ch) center.
guard (front/S/Ch + court/P/Ch) frontcourt
guard (s/S/Ch + tance/P/Ch) stance
guard (guardian/S/Ch + ship/P/Ch) guardianship
guard (ja/S/Ch + il/P/Ch) jail
guard (sa/S/Ch + fety/P/Ch) safety
guard (attach/S/Ch + ment/P/Ch) attachment
guard (de/S/Ch + vice/P/Ch) device
guard (coveri/S/Ch + ing/P/Ch) covering
guard (brace/S/Ch + let/P/Ch) bracelet
guard (fin/S/Ch + ger/P/Ch) finger
guard (sig/S/Ch + nal/P/Ch) signal
1. free from or not exposed to danger or harm; safe.
2. dependable; firm; not liable to fail, yield, become displaced, etc., as a support or a fastening: The building was secure, even in an earthquake.
3. affording safety, as a place: He needed a secure hideout.
4. in safe custody or keeping: Here in the vault the necklace was secure.
5. free from care; without anxiety: emotionally secure.
6. firmly established, as a relationship or reputation: He earned a secure place among the baseball immortals.
7. sure; certain; assured: secure of victory; secure in religious belief.
8. safe from penetration or interception by unauthorized persons: secure radio communications between army units.
9. Archaic. overconfident.
safe (se/S + cure/P) secure
dependable (se/T + cure/C1) secure
affording (se/S + cure/T) secure
"in keeping" (se/P + cure/C2) secure
"without anxiety" (se/S + cure/C2) secure
established (se/C1 + cure/S) secure
certain (se/C1 + cure/P) secure
"safe from penetration" (se/T + cure/C2) secure
overconfident (se/S + cure/C1) secure
–verb (used without object)
20. to be or become safe; have or obtain security.
a. to cover openings and make movable objects fast: The crew was ordered to secure for sea.
b. to be excused from duty: to secure from general quarters.
* When articulating "have safety", "have berth" or "stop work" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "secure" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
1. To treat fruit or other foods so as to prevent decay.
2. To maintain a private area stocked with game or fish.
* When articulating "make jam", "have an area" or "preservation" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "preserve" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
1. Something that acts to preserve; a preservative.
2. Fruit cooked with sugar to protect against decay or fermentation. Often used in the plural.
3. An area maintained for the protection of wildlife or natural resources.
4. Something considered as being the exclusive province of certain persons: Ancient Greek is the preserve of scholars.
preserve (some/S/Ch + thing/P/Ch) something
preserve (su/S/Ch + gar/P/Ch) sugar
preserve (ar/S/Ch + ea/P/Ch) area
preserve (prov/S/Ch + ince/P/Ch) province
3. paper pulp and any ingredients added to it prior to its introduction into a papermaking machine.
furnish (pa/P + per/S) paper
113. fit (out)
v. fit•ted or fit, fit•ted, fit•ting, fits
a. To be the proper size and shape for: These shoes fit me.
b. To cause to be the proper size and shape: The tailor fitted the trousers by shortening them.
c. To measure for proper size: She fitted me for a new jacket.
2. To be appropriate to; suit: music that fits your mood.
3. To be in conformity or agreement with: observations that fit the theory nicely.
4. To make suitable; adapt: fitted the shelves for large books. See Synonyms at adapt.
5. To make ready; prepare: Specialized training fitted her for the job.
6. To equip; outfit: fit out a ship.
7. To provide a place or time for: You can't fit any more toys in the box. The doctor can fit you in today.
8. To insert or adjust so as to be properly in place: fit a handle on a door.
1. To be the proper size and shape.
2. To be suited; belong: doesn't fit in with these people.
3. To be in harmony; agree: His good mood fit in with the joyful occasion.
* When articulating "fitness", "fit out", "have the shape" or "have competence" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "fit" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
When articulating "have harmony" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "fit in" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
When articulating "fit out" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /S/Ch/abT speaking posture, "fitted" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
When articulating "fitted" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abT speaking posture, "fits" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
When articulating "fits with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/abT speaking posture, "fitting metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
suit (fi/S/Ch + t/P/Ch) fit
make (fi/P/Ch + t/S/Ch) fit
measure (fi/P/Ch + t/T/Ch) fit
meet (fi/S/Ch + t/T/Ch) fit
match (fi/C1/Ch + t/T/Ch) fit
adapt (fi/T/Ch + t/P/Ch) fit
prepare (fi/T/Ch + t/S/Ch) fit
outfit (fi/P/Ch + t/C1/Ch) fit
see (fi/T/Ch + t/C1/Ch) fit
adjust (fi/S/Ch + t/C1/Ch) fit
1. The state, quality, or way of being fitted: the proper fit of means to ends.
2. The manner in which clothing fits: a jacket with a tight fit.
3. The degree of precision with which surfaces are adjusted or adapted to each other in a machine or collection of parts.
fit (si/S/Ch + ze/P/Ch) size
fit (pre/S/Ch + cision/P/Ch) precision
1. a supply of goods kept on hand for sale to customers by a merchant, distributor, manufacturer, etc.; inventory.
2. a quantity of something accumulated, as for future use: a stock of provisions.
4. Theater. a stock company: a job in summer stock.
a. the outstanding capital of a company or corporation.
b. the shares of a particular company or corporation.
c. the certificate of ownership of such stock; stock certificate.
d. (formerly) a tally or stick used in transactions between a debtor and a creditor.
a. Also called understock. in grafting, a stem in which the bud or scion is inserted.
b. a stem, tree, or plant that furnishes slips or cuttings; stock plant.
7. the trunk or main stem of a tree or other plant, as distinguished from roots and branches.
8. the type from which a group of animals or plants has been derived.
9. a race or other related group of animals or plants.
10. the person from whom a given line of descent is derived; the original progenitor.
11. a line of descent; a tribe, race, or ethnic group.
12. Linguistics. a category consisting of language families that, because of resemblances in grammatical structure and vocabulary, are considered likely to be related by common origin. Compare family (def. 14), phylum (def. 2).
13. any grouping of related languages.
14. the handle of a whip, fishing rod, etc.
a. the wooden or metal piece to which the barrel and mechanism of a rifle are attached.
b. a part of an automatic weapon, as a machine gun, similar in position or function.
16. the trunk or stump of a tree, left standing.
17. a dull or stupid person.
18. something lifeless or senseless.
19. the main upright part of anything, esp. a supporting structure.
a. a former instrument of punishment consisting of a framework with holes for securing the ankles and, sometimes, the wrists, used to expose an offender to public derision. Compare pillory (def. 1).
b. a frame in which a horse or other animal is secured in a standing position for shoeing or for a veterinary operation.
c. the frame on which a boat rests while under construction.
a. a vertical shaft forming part of a rudder and controlling the rudder's movement.
b. a transverse piece of wood or metal near the ring on some anchors.
22. the metal or wooden body of a carpenter's plane.
a. material being smelted in a blast furnace.
b. a metal piece to be forged.
a. a specified quality or kind of paper: glossy stock; card stock; offset stock.
b. the paper for printing a particular job: We don't have enough stock for that large a run.
25. the raw material from which something is made.
26. Papermaking. stuff (def. 15).
27. Cookery. the liquor or broth prepared by boiling meat, fish, chicken, etc., with or without vegetables or seasonings, and used esp. as a foundation for soups and sauces.
28. any of several plants belonging to the genus Matthiola, of the mustard family, esp. M. incana, having fragrant white, blue, purple, reddish, or yellowish flowers.
29. a rhizome or rootstock.
30. Zoology. a compound organism, as a colony of corals.
31. a collar or a neckcloth fitting like a band around the neck.
32. Cards. the portion of a pack of cards that, in certain games, is not dealt out to the players, but is left on the table, to be drawn from as occasion requires.
33. an adjustable wrench for holding dies for cutting screws.
34. Railroads. rolling stock.
35. Dominoes. boneyard (def. 3).
36. Informal. stock car (def. 1).
37. Roman Catholic Church. one of a set of three metal containers for holy oil.
38. Geology, Mining. an irregular igneous intrusion, usually an offshoot of a batholith, often mineralized.
39. Archaic. a stocking.
40. Obsolete. the frame of a plow to which the share, handles, etc., are attached.
stock (in/T/Ch + ventory/C2/Ch) inventory
stock (quan/T/Ch + tity/C2/Ch) quantity
stock (live/T/Ch + stock/C2/Ch) livestock
stock (thea/T/Ch + ter/C2/Ch) theater
stock (capi/T/Ch + tal/C2/Ch) capital
stock (lshar/T/Ch + e/C2/Ch) share
stock (owner/T/Ch + ship/C2/Ch) ownership
stock (tal/T/Ch + ly/C2/Ch) tally
stock (s/T/Ch + tem/C2/Ch) stem
stock (cutt/T/Ch + ing/C2/Ch) cutting
stock (t/T/Ch + runk/C2/Ch) trunk
stock (ta/T/Ch + ip/C2/Ch) type [ta ip]
stock (re/T/Ch + [i s=]/C2/Ch) race [re i s=]
stock (proge/T/Ch + nitor/C2/Ch) progenitor
stock (de/T/Ch + scent/C2/Ch) descent
stock (fam/T/Ch + ily/C2/Ch) family
stock (group/T/Ch + ing/C2/Ch) grouping
stock (han/T/Ch + dle/C2/Ch) handle
stock (pie/T/Ch + ce/C2/Ch) piece
stock (par/T/Ch + t/C2/Ch) part
stock (s/T/Ch + tump/C2/Ch) stump
stock (per/T/Ch + son/C2/Ch) person
stock (some/T/Ch + thing/C2/Ch) something
stock (st/T/Ch + ructure/C2/Ch) structure
stocks (pill/T/Ch + ory/C2/Ch) pillory
stocks (f/T/Ch + rame/C2/Ch) frame
stocks (boa/T/Ch + t/C2/Ch) boat
stock (shaf/T/Ch + t/C2/Ch) shaft
stock (an/T/Ch + chor/C2/Ch) anchor
stock (p/T/Ch + lane/C2/Ch) plane
stock (ma/T/Ch + terial/C2/Ch) material
stock (metal/T/Ch + piece/C2/Ch) "metal piece"
stock (pap/T/Ch + er/C2/Ch) paper
stock (jo/T/Ch + b/C2/Ch) job
stock (raw/T/Ch + material/C2/Ch) "raw material"
stock (s/T/Ch + tuff/C2/Ch) stuff
stock (liq/T/Ch + uor/C2/Ch) liquor
stock (Matthi/T/Ch + ola/C2/Ch) Matthiola
stock (rhi/T/Ch + zome/C2/Ch) rhizome
stock (organ/T/Ch + ism/C2/Ch) organism
stock (neck/T/Ch + cloth/C2/Ch) neckcloth
stock (car/T/Ch + d/C2/Ch) card
stock (wren/T/Ch + ch/C2/Ch) wrench
stock (rail/T/Ch + road/C2/Ch) railroad
stock (bone/T/Ch + yard/C2/Ch) boneyard
stock (stock/T/Ch + car/C2/Ch) "stock car"
stock (holy/T/Ch + oil/C2/Ch) "holy oil"
stock (batho/T/Ch + lith/C2/Ch) batholith
stock (stock/T/Ch + ing/C2/Ch) stocking
stock (p/T/Ch + low/C2/Ch) plow
41. kept regularly on hand, as for use or sale; staple; standard: stock articles.
42. having as one's job the care of a concern's goods: a stock clerk.
43. of the common or ordinary type; in common use: a stock argument.
44. banal; commonplace: a stock remark.
45. pertaining to or designating the breeding and raising of livestock: stock farming.
46. Southern U.S. (chiefly Southern Appalachian and South Atlantic States). (of farm animals) being a fully grown male: a stock hog.
47. of or pertaining to the stock of a company or corporation: a stock report.
a. pertaining to a stock company.
b. appearing together in a repertoire, as a company.
c. forming part of a repertoire, as a play.
d. being a character type fixed by convention, as in the commedia dell'-arte, a harlequinade, minstrel show, or the like.
49. Informal. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a stock car.
staple (s/S + tock/P) stock
inventory (s/P + tock/T) stock
ordinary (s/P + tock/C1) stock
banal (s/T + tock/S) stock
livestock (s/C1 + tock/S) stock
grown (s/T + tock/P) stock
portfolio (s/S + tock/C1) stock
movie (s/T + tock/C1) stock
extra (s/C1 + tock/P) stock
act (s/S + tock/T) stock
character (s/C1 + tock/T) stock
standard (s/P + tock/S) stock
–verb (used without object)
55. to lay in a stock of something (often fol. by up).
* When articulating "have an inventory" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "stock" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
When articulating "have an inventory" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /S/Ch/abT speaking posture, "stock up" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
–verb (used without object)
5. to fill the place of another, esp. the pulpit of a church, temporarily or as a substitute: Who will supply until the new minister arrives?
* When articulating "fill the place" with/from GRECOnglish/GC /P/Ch/abR speaking posture, "supply" is metaphthong/MPh pronounced.
6. the act of supplying, furnishing, providing, satisfying, etc.: to begin the supply of household help.
7. something that is supplied: The storm cut off our water supply.
8. a quantity of something on hand or available, as for use; a stock or store: Did you see our new supply of shirts?
9. Usually, supplies. a provision, stock, or store of food or other things necessary for maintenance: to lay in supplies for the winter.
10. Economics. the quantity of a commodity that is in the market and available for purchase or that is available for purchase at a particular price.
11. supplies, Military.
a. all items necessary for the equipment, maintenance, and operation of a military command, including food, clothing, arms, ammunition, fuel, materials, and machinery.
b. procurement, distribution, maintenance, and salvage of supplies.
12. a person who fills a vacancy or takes the place of another, esp. temporarily.
13. supplies. Obsolete. reinforcements.
14. Obsolete. aid.
supply (supp/S/Ch + lying/P/Ch) supplying
supply (some/S/Ch + thing/P2/Ch) something
supply (s/S/Ch + tore/P2/Ch) store
supplies (pro/S/Ch + vision/P2/Ch) provision
supply (co/S/Ch + mmodity/P2/Ch) commodity
supplies (e/S/Ch + quipment/P2/Ch) equipment
supply (dis/S/Ch + tribution/P2/Ch) distribution
supply (per/S/Ch + son/P2/Ch) person
supplies (rein/S/Ch + forcement/P2/Ch) reinforcement
supply (ai/S/Ch + d/P2/Ch) aid
| terrific, bodacious(ly), boff(o), 'jim-dandy', hopeful, positive, confident, 'can-do', formal(ly), official, regular|
| provision/provide/serialize, 'set up', arrange/form/order/sort/sicken/disgust/revolt, repel/repulse, 'gross out'|